Sunday, 11 March 2012

What a Successful Weekend....

Hi Followers,
Well....what can I say except YAHOO!!!!!!! What a great weekend we have had. To get the ball rolling Ralphy and I had out weekly weigh in Saturday morning and we have lost exactly 1kg each for the week. So... we are dancing around the maypole, screaming, laughing, crying...... life is sometimes just so sweet ain't it (excuse the pun). A bit of an over-reaction granted, but we have been treading water for a few weeks now....well I have. So this little dive south on the bathroom scales is a very welcome loss to say the least.


In saying that, I am just pleased that the weigh-in was Saturday morning as with us entertaining our visitor for the weekend I don't think the scales would be as kind right now. Not that we have eaten anything we shouldn't have, although I did have a rather sweet riesling tonight that I am sure was full of sugar!!!! But that was truly the only cheat. And it went sooooo well with the Indian Saag Gosh and Vegi Paratha that we noshed on at the Masala Restaurant in Palmer Street.... all sugar free I was informed. Actually I must tell you a side-line positive of being on a sugar free diet. When I asked the waiter what was sugar free, the above and the Palak Paneer (a vegetarian pureed spinach and ricotta cheese concoction) were the only sugar free items on the whole menu. Can I say that it took a lot of stress out of wondering what to order from the three pages of mouth watering delights when you only have two dishes to select from.

So why then the concern about the scales not being kind to us. Dear blogg followers...it all has to do with volume control. We are supposed to only eat when hungry and then only until the appetite is satisfied....and no more. Well my eyes proved this weekend that they are indeed bigger than my belly as I went past stop a few times. But who could blame me especially when it concerned a certain cherry, blueberry cream tart that I made yesterday instead of the planned pancakes with blueberries and yoghurt for our Saturday night dinner.
Cherry and Blueberry Cream Tart
This tart I adapted from a recipe in David Gillsepie's second book "Sweet Poison Quit Plan". It has a really delicious creamy custard base and compliments the shredded coconut flavoured pastry so well. 

Our guest, who still hasn't jumped on the sugar free bandwagon (although I am working on it HA!!), really enjoyed it....so that was saying something as I thought it may have been too bland. But the dextrose instead of the sugar really worked very well. It is certainly different to working with sugar and I think I was really brave (or stupid depending on where you stand) trying this new way of cooking with a visitor.... but it worked in my favour.... the Gods love me this time.... so I cannot complain. 

And my Saturday night dinner Signature Roast Chicken course worked really well despite the fact I totally forgot about layering the bok choy between the bacon and savour lamb mince layers until I had stitched the chicken up. Dahhhh!!!! Glad I'm a nurse and not a surgeon. "Oh sorry Mrs. Smith. Here is your ovary...I forgot to put in back in when I stitched you up. OOPS!!!"

 Hey, remember I was sick and dying at home on Friday with a head cold (yeah.... the home remedies didn't really work that well over night, although the sore throat had eased up).  So the fact I was able to debone the chicken and not slice my fingers off thanks to watery eyes and poor vision OR massacre the poor thing was a miracle in itself. So here is the finished product.
Noel's Signature Roast Chicken
I was going to give you all the recipe for this tonight but I think I need to go to bed instead and try and gather my strength for work tomorrow. Be patient...especially you Judi.... there is still enough time to get the ingredients for next weekend.

Hope you all watched the segment on channel 7 tonight at 6.30pm titled Sweet Poison. How Ralphy and I wish one day to see the scales read 20 kgs lighter!!!! Especially Ralphy...........

Well my cherubs...it is nighty-night from one very happy weekend camper.

Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.................... Noels







No comments:

Post a Comment