Well....how did you go over Easter????? Sworn to not let another chocolate cross your lips for the rest of the year! Or as one friend said to me yesterday, "I think I'll put my name down to be a 'before and after test bunny' for the latests pimple lotion.... that will sort out the good from the bad. And I have to say there was either a real hormone imbalance thing happening with her, or she and chocolates really don't get on.
But Ralphy and I made it through the chocolates and marshmellow maze without one crossing our lips. Not that I wasn't tempted mind you. Truthfully I have never seen so many boxes of chocolates at work as this year. But then again maybe it was because I had to resist the temptation that I noticed. But I fully intend writing to Woolies and complaining about those huge yellow Whitman's boxes full of the most scrumptious, sweet-smelling, yummy looking chocs I have ever laid eyes on. Do they realize just how hard it is to walk past a little box, let alone one that size (mind you they contained the same number of chocs as a small box - lots of pretty paper packing). Unfortunately my eyes are as big as the boxes and it was a struggle to pull myself away each and every time.
But we made it. Actually I didn't really yearn chocolate as much as I normally would, once out of sight of the temptations. I am convinced it is the combination of the memory of the taste in your mouth, the look and gorgeous sweet smell, that tried to reel me in each time I glimpsed a chocolate. Out of the tea room I stopped frothing at the mouth, kicking my legs in a tantrum, and uttering profanities, almost instantly....interesting.
BUT WE MADE IT!!!!! In saying that we had another plateau week of neither of us losing any weight. Personally I think we indulged in a few too many carbs...that or as I have always believed....smelling chocolates in itself makes you fat!!!.
So...how did you celebrate Easter Sunday? Ralphy and I joined some of my family members for an Easter B-B-Q lunch at a beachside hotel venue that sounded lovely but was very disappointing. I am not sure what I really expected but a steak with a few slices of cucumber, green tasteless tomato, capsicum and a side serve of potato wedges wasn't up there with the picture I had created in my head. Everything else was drowned with mayonnaise dressings and sauces... and so was out of our reach. At least the steak was tender but the day not an enjoyable experience...especially with the local band performing at jet engine decibel levels right beside our table. We are making plans to visit my sister and her famliy in Tasmania for Christmas. So this thought has made the disappoinments of Easter not so unbearable.
Now to get down to the 'guts' of todays posting. I thought I would chat about a recent article I read regarding our daily 'normal' sugar consumption. Health guidelines say we shouldn't have any more than 10% of our total daily energy in added sugars - that is sugars that sweeten our foods, fizzy drinks, honeys, syrups and fruit juices. This equates to around 50grams of sugar a day equivalent to 10 cubes of sugar for adults and older children and nine cubes for five to ten-year-olds.
So how does this look relative to some of our foods. Check the following out:
1. BOTTLE OF COKE (500ml); 2. JORDANS FRUSLI BAR, BLUEBERRY; 3. VOLVIC TOUCH OF FRUIT LEMON AND LIME (1.5 litre); 4. RED BULL (250ml); 5. BEN & JERRY'S PHISH FOOD ICE CREAM (500ml); 6. TESCO CHICKEN KORMA & PILAU RICE (550g); 7. INNOCENT MANGOES & PASSION FRUITS SMOOTHIE (250ml); 8. 1 TBSP (15ml) KETCHUP; 9. BB Q PRINGLES, (190g); 10. 2 MCVITIES DIGESTIVES; 11. NEW COVENT GARDEN PLUM TOMATO & MASCARPONE SOUP (600g); 12. PRET CORONATION CHICKEN & CHUTNEY SANDWICH; 13. MCDONALD'S LARGE STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKE; 14. WAITROSE LOVE LIFE CRAYFISH & MANGO SALAD; 15. SUN-MAID RAISINS (14g); 16. MULLER LIGHT STRAWBERRY (175g pot); 17. 1 BANANA; 18. DOLMI O BOLOGNESE ORIGINAL SAUCE (500g jar); 19. 1 PLAIN BAGEL; 20. GLASS OF TROPICANA SMOOTH ORANGE JUICE (200ml); 21. GLASS SEMI SKIMMED MILK (200ml); 22. APPLE; 23. BRAN FLAKES (30g with milk, 125ml); 23. BRAN FLAKES (30g with milk, 125ml) ; 24. STARBUCKS SIGNATURE GRANDE HOT CHOCOLATE & CREAM; 25. MCDONALDS FILLET-O-FISH; 26. GALAXY BAR (125g)
On average (and we are talking average of a whole population) it was found that adults ingest in excess of around 2 teaspoons in added sugars daily and this is mainly found in everything from fizzy drinks to chicken korma ( so we are in the red here when we balance our cheque book). The articel goes on to say that 'These added sugars are more likely to do harm as they aren't safely bound in the structure of the food as they are in fruit and milk - no fibre available to help digest or get rid of the excess sugars. It means they are hence available to the body in higher concentrations'.
So how can you spot a high sugar food? My advice is start looking at food labels and all bottled, tinned, and packeted foods have these now. If the label lists total sugars (and this will include natural and added sugars) with less than 5 grams per 100grams, it is classified as low and hence an allowable food. More than 15 grams per 100 grams and it is high and to be avoided at all costs!!!! I admit that we all need some sugar. But excess levels have been linked with raised levels of the hormone insulin, which increases the risk of diabetes (not to mention other diseases). Also, the body turns excess sugars into fat, which is stored around the major organs, placing us at risk of liver and heart disease. Andddddddddddd...... there are also fears that high sugar diets may promote some cancers.
Well that is my rant for today. I would love you all to start, if you are not already in the habit, of reading your food labels. And remember the golden rule....less than 5g of sugar per 100g and the food is acceptable, greater than 15g per 100 g and it is a definite NO. Between 5 and 15g per 100g I hear you ask me? Well it will all depend on how much you really want that 100g. Personally I try to also avoid this area unless in comes naturally e.g. as a fruit or vegetable. If the occasional gets through, I won't die I am sure. But I know most times I can find a better alternative that won't put me over my 50g or 10 cube limit for the day.
Have a nice and healthy week and remember....sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.......Noels

No comments:
Post a Comment