Friday, 9 March 2012

A Visitor is Coming for the Weekend....

Hi everyone,
This weekend Ralphy and I have a visitor staying with us (and I have a head cold!!!) Hence our new way of cooking and eating is going to be tested well and truly. The BIG question is "How do I cater for someone who is reasonably fussy in what they eat and yet stick to what we now put in our mouths"? And NO!!! We are not dining out!!! And NO!!!! I have no intention of racing off to the supermarket and purchasing sugared items just after I threw them all out!!! Uhmmmmm....better put on my thinking cap ......


Two hours later, and I have a plan at last and it still keeps us within the 'program'. Yepee!!!  So I have just sent Ralphy to the supermarket (hey! I'm sick and dying here okay!!!) for a few supplies like sugar, margarine, jam, ice cream......only joking. But on the shopping list I do have wonderful....hopefully fresh.... ingredients like a whole chicken, some bacon, lamb mince, bok choy, atlantic salmon, mushrooms etc........ One of the dishes I plan to make is my boned signature chicken roast for dinner Saturday night and which I will give you the recipe and photos of in a later blog once the deed is done. Provided the roast is not so delicious that everyone will want seconds and thirds, I intend having the left-overs sliced cold with a salad for lunch on Sunday. Well... this is my plan so far.


A boned, stuffed, roasted chicken.
For nibbles, I intend making one of my cheese spreads, and a fresh basil pesto to have with olives and freshly toasted thin slices of rye bread or sticks of fresh vegetables. And dessert will be my version of pancakes with blueberries, greek yoghurt, toasted almond flakes and dextrose.


Now don't go screaming at me "Hey, you're having sugar". Lesson time here people for those of you who want to hear my response to your dextrose scream. If you are not interested, then skip the next paragraph now okay.....


For the rest of you gluttons for punishment here goes: When we eat sugar, what we are really eating is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Our body has no problem with the glucose part. It produces insulin and breaks it down into energy. What it does have a problem with is the 50% fructose. The body does not recognise fructose as far as insulin production goes  and so it is carted off to the liver and stored as body fat. And this my body (and mind) does have a problem with. However when I use dextrose, it is 100% glucose, so the body says "Hello I recognise all of you and here is your serving of insulin".....and all is well. Don't get me wrong. Eating lots of dextrose will put on weight also, as if all that energy produced by the insulin isn't used, it will be stored as fat. But here is the cherry on the cake. In being fructose free, I now have my appetite control centre back....meaning that my body tells me when it is low in energy and when it isn't..... when I am hungry and when I am not. So, I can have a pancake with all the trimmings and enjoy. And when the energy (calories) are burnt up and I am out of puff, then I will feel hungry and this is when I will eat again. Fructose ingestion will not do this...it hides the true story as explained above and truly stuffs up our appetite control centre......sugar, in particular fructose, makes us nearly always hungry or ready to eat more. So this is the lesson in a nut shell.


Welcome back everyone. I also intend making for dinner on Sunday night crusted sesame seed  atlantic salmon with a potato bake, and lemon buttered beans. I think I will leave the brussel sprouts off the menu as Ralphy and I seem to be the only ones who enjoy these little delights from some of the feedback I have received. And sometime tomorrow I have to knock up my rendition of muesli. But all of this for future blogs.


Crusted Sesame Seed Atlantic Salmon
For now, I am getting a glass of water and two Ease-A-Cold tablets and after downing them I am hopping back into bed and praying for a miracle cure. Oh....and yes...I am having a spoon of honey. As full of fructose as it is, I still believe it has great medicinal properties and will sacrifice myself for this reason.


Night my cherubs. Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.........Noels

No comments:

Post a Comment